Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Cell Phones

First, I must apologize for not posting yesterday but I was busy as I’ll explain further. Also, I should note that I don’t bother to post on the weekends or holidays.

Now, I was trying to get some work done on Monday even if it was a holiday. I should also explain that even though I hate cell phones I have had any number of them over the years for business purposes. Back to Monday, I was working when the cell phone started ringing. Answering it I got no response but rather a text message popped up much to my surprise. The message was obviously to the wrong number as it was from a teenager to another teenager. I deleted it and went back to work. A few minutes later another text message came up. I kept getting these idiotic messages for the better part of an hour without answering any of them.

Now I don’t know about any of your cell phone plans, but in mine I pay for text messages and the airtime dealing with them. Thus I never use them and tell anyone who might call me that I don’t use them. After about 20 messages, I got feed up and lost my temper. The cell phone went crashing into a cinder block wall needless to say. So I spent the better part of the morning on Tuesday dealing with the cell phone company trying to get my number installed in another phone. I haven’t had such a frustrating time since I tried to get in contact with my ISP about their charges for service.

I should explain that I’m one of those people that rarely throw anything out so I have about four unused cell phones lying around. All I wanted was for the company to install the SMI chip from the broken phone into one of those. No, they couldn’t do that was the first answer. I’d need to get a new phone. Realizing that all they wanted to do was sell me another phone, I kept insisting that they could do that and they would do that otherwise I was going to sign with another company and get yet another phone I didn’t need or want. They finally relented and did like I asked. I also had them remove the text messaging from my plan so I wouldn’t be bothered like this again.

I should mention that to me a cell phone is for making calls and getting voice mail. Nothing else matters and I don’t want it or use it. There are a number of reasons for this. I get my email off the internet, I watch TV if I want to see something, I write letters if I want a hardcopy of my correspondence, and I have a phone book for looking up numbers. I don’t need a cell phone to do any of this for me!

A warning to those of you out there using cell phones for all of these functions, there are computer viruses starting to spread to cell phones that use some or all of these functions. I knew it would happen sooner or later and it has now. If your cell phone uses the Bluetooth wireless communications with other devices then you are vulnerable to this first wave of viruses. The most insidious one so far drains you phones batteries. I expect the next wave will use the actual phone networks to spread and do greater damage.

I personally have enough problems with the internet and viruses protection, popup protection, ad ware protection, and spam email that I don’t need to be bothered fighting these on my cell phone. What’s the old saying, something about forewarned is forearmed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can imagine your horrible frustration. A while back our phone kept ringing and ringing and nobody was there. I called the phone co. Trying to get to the message across to the person on the other end can be quite a fete. They ask you if you did this and that and you just tell the yes whether you did or not because most of the time when we have a problem here, it is because of the rain. If it has been dry for quite a period of time and then we have some pretty heavy rains, the ground starts shifting and damages some of the cable. Right now we are having a problem of being able to get out or people trying to get us. They keep getting the busy signal which they should never get.

We just have a basic cell phone plan with Verizon Wireless. I sure do hope that we don't get any viruses. I see no need for photos or text messaging. Are we prone to virus' with just the basic plan? I don't need any more junk in my life.